Description of PhotoDescription of PhotoDescription of Photo

Friday 3 February 2012

Fiction Friday - The Host

I wanted to start a new feature over here on KatieWrites. Now on a general week I'll read at least one book, sometimes more, sometimes less, but because I love reading so much and it's such a huge part of my life I thought I've give books their own home on my blog. They used to have a home here, Previously I'd give a brief summary of each book I'd read at the end of each month, but somewhere along the way they disappeared. So I though I'd bring it back.

Each Friday I want to show you what book I'm currently reading, what I'm thinking of it so far, why I picked it up and basically how much I love/hate it. So welcome to Fiction Friday (which has a very original name, I know.)

Fiction Friday KatieWrites

This week I'm reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer, and I'm not ashamed to say the reason I bought this book is because I loved the Twilight Saga. I am ashamed to say that this book has sat on my shelf for the past two years. I tried to read it last year but after 17 pages I gave up and left it to collect dust. That was until one of my youtube subscribers and online friend repeatedly begged me to read it. Boy am I glad that she did. Now don't get me wrong, I'm only 100 pages in, but I'm loving it so far.

The Host is a science fiction, alien invasion, apocalyptic love story, which so far holds the perfect balance between romance and action. Think Animorphs (a very old Nickelodeon TV series) without the animal morphing, and rather than slug like creepy ear invaders think beautiful glowing creatures that attach to the human spinal column.

I wish that a year ago when I originally picked up this book, I'd just stuck with it, or at least read the blurb, because so far this is my type of book. I'm loving the character development, and the ease of two uniquely different voices/characters sharing the same body. I'm loving the introduction of new characters, some of which you feel like you've know for years, and some of which you wish you'd never met.  I'm enjoying the plot development that catches you hook, line and sinker and when on the rare occasion that you being to loose attention Stephenie Meyer turns a corner and pulls you right back into the depth of things.

So far I really recommend this book, and from what I've heard the parts I've read so far are the boring bits, so I'm very excited to find out what is still to come.

That's all from me this week, as I'm now very eager to pick The Host back up and get my nose stuck in once again. What are you currently reading? I'd love to know. *cough* book addict *cough* Oh and next week I'll try to get this up a little earlier, and with only 1 hour and a half to spare.

Happy Reading,
Katie 
x

6 comments:

  1. I read this book and I loved it.. I posted a review of it on my blog... It's definitely worth all that 600 pages :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to remember to read you're review once I've finished it. I think it's going to be one of those books where I hunt for reviews etc once I'm done in hope that everyone feels the same way that I do about it. x

      Delete
  2. This is such a great idea for a post! :) I'm following you because I could need some good book recommendations and ideas for books to pick up!

    Have a great weekend! //Niina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many great book recommendations, I may even have to do a dedicated post.
      x

      Delete
  3. I read this book a while ago and really enjoyed it, great read x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I want to do it read it. I'm enjoying it so much. I've turned into a prune due to reading in the bath because I just couldn't stop. x

      Delete

I try to always reply to comments posted here. So if you take the time to leave me a message, be sure to check back for my reply.